Reply To: 26.5.2014 Ancient Futures

Author Replies
gaoyongliang@yahoo.com # Posted on May 27, 2014 at 15:44

Reply to Wenzel’s post
By Yongliang Gao

I think you pointed out a very important issue, which is how to define localization. If Localisation means 50% resources used to come from the local settlement, like you cited, then some of the globalized economies might in fact stand as localized ones, speaking at a national point. In that case, what, to Helena, is the motivation of localizing the economy if they are literally localized?

I really appreciate that you put forward the different scenarios for answering the question because discussing the question by different society and varying conditions will get closer to the truth, although it is complex to manage. Aside the question itself, I’m also curious about some practical issues. For instance, despite localizing economy is able to make the local people happy, how can the economy get away from the other ones if they are now mutually connected? This is my personal interest because it seems to me that maybe the localized economy could benefit the local, but what about the others, which dependent on you, this issue is particularly concerned with the economies where possess diverse and valuable resources? If the localizing brings only good to the local whereas lowers the interests of the outside world. What will happen then? Will localizing then trigger a war or colonialism?

I also want to doubt the legitimacy of Helena’s work. Why does she bring the “localizing” idea up to national, and even global level? For me, to localize economic and social activities within a small community is applicable. However, when the idea is evaluated at national or global scale, it crosses the geographical frame of discussion. But like I said at the beginning, this is what I think your point worth of a compliment-the definition of localization. Apart from that, I would say, it is very impossible to localize the world, regardless of the economy scale, although it might bring us benefits in many aspects.