Reply To: 26.5.2014 Ancient Futures

Author Replies
Sabbath Sunday # Posted on May 27, 2014 at 22:26

Seminar 10:
Reply to Nik Petek by Sabbath Sunday

You have done a good job on the question Nik, although you conclude that you were not sure of how to tackle the mammoth task – in your own words. Indeed some countries should not take globalization whole sale because some of its impacts are detrimental to the environment. There should be restrictions on importation of goods and products which can be locally obtained while encouraging local production especially food stuffs sold from local shops. As Norberg-Hodge has already noted in her arguments local farming can be the best source for organic food supplies. For other services, also local companies which employ local people should be encouraged other than consuming imported goods whose industries are far away from the consumers, thus reducing employment opportunities.

Multinational companies which have spearheaded globalization are the real obstacle to localization. Due to capitalism; the competition for resources, diseases, air, water and land pollution, dumping and ecological degradation, we should think twice and embrace localization as the beginning of the restoration of the environments around us. I am not saying that globalization should be completely erased but as Hornborg argues, the good side of it like communication technology should be retained for quick information exchange though some of it should not be used to negatively influence the socio-cultural background of localization.

I would also agree with you Nik that the issue of globalization is quite gigantic, but since it encourages unequal exchange it its transactions, my prediction is that the poor producers of most of industrial raw materials will rise up one day and embrace new changes which are beneficial and environment friendly like localization.