Reply To: Seminar reflections – Governance of the Arctic 30/3

Author Replies
Miguel Núñez # Posted on April 1, 2015 at 15:04

My (late) reflection: “Critical notes about resilience”.

As I talked in our meeting I am interested in the origins and in the political effects around the resilience concept. The first time as I heard about this concept was as a psycological ability which all the persons have in order to restore themselves after living traumatic experiences. Such as an example, the people who have lived in places where war has happened, can found new ways to survive after the warfare risks have passed.

In the interim report from 2012 about resilience in the arctic, is informed and defined the resilience from ecosystems as those capacities of the biological or environment systems that can restore old lost states of environmental functions. But, how the ecosystems can restore themselves without disappearing the risks which exists over their natural functions? This question guides the next reflection.

As we discussed, also in our meeting, the biggest country on the world, China, is claiming the arctic for its managing, exploitation and free use. This claiming could be assessed from a global perspective, in the sense that China with their more than one billion of inhabitants,need for their future generations arctic natural resources. If we think globally around the idea that the arctic is a human patrimony, one of the natural consequences is that Chinese peoples, being part of humankind, have rights over managing the Arctic. In what way and based on what circumstances China could be manage the Arctic is a big question, if we take in account the big capacity from chinese peoples to put limits on their behavoirs. The restrictions over their biological functions as their reproductive capacity, and the consequent outcome in the chinese families from today, is a clear example about the efectivenees of the chinese peoples. What other big people has could put limits to their reproductive expansion through politic decisions? No one as the chinese appear today as the more awarness about the impact over the environment that have the human production and consumption, and it´s the reason for the economic punishment to those families which have more than one child.

The resilience concept fixes only in those societies which have strong institutions, big trust in their policy-makers and efective legal systems, as we can see with the chinese societies. But, what about the nations which claiming posession over the Arctic? Are their institutions strong? Respect their peoples to their governant classes? Social control over their peoples are efective? So far away from that, many of the imperial nations which want dominate the arctic are characterized by their economic oligopolies which benefit free enterprise more than sustainable development.

The conflict between economic principles and ecological principles is clear today, indeed in the managing over the Arctic. I think that it´s the point that we can assessed deeply.